The BC Provincial Renal Agency (BCPRA) is the driving force behind the kidney care network in British Columbia. This section summarizes what we do, our organization structure, and our vision,mission and core values.
- Plan and monitor the delivery of province-wide kidney care services
- Develop province-wide clinical standards and guidelines
- Develop funding models to support best health outcomes
- Measure and report on patient and system outcomes
- Support knowledge-development through research and teaching
We serve three main groups:
- People in BC and Yukon who have kidney disease, particularly people who need dialysis
- Kidney disease caregivers
- Researchers interested in kidney disease
We also ensure consistent and accurate communication about kidney care with the BC Ministry of Health, the Provincial Health Services Authority and BC’s regional health authorities.
As an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), BCPRA is accredited through Accreditation Canada. Accreditation Canada recognized our information system/database (PROMIS) in their annual report as a "Leading Practice."
For more information about what we do, see below:
- Who We Are
- How We Serve BC
- Events, Initiatives and Acheivements
- Committees and Working Groups
- Financial Information
- BCPRA At a Glance
- BCPRA's Action Plan
Founded in 1997, BC has the only renal network of its kind in Canada. Through linkages to other organizations, BCPRA coordinates all aspects of kidney care related to service delivery, funding, research and education, patient support, and government liaison. A network of committees support our work. (See a diagram of the Provincial Renal Network Structure)
BCPRA is a virtual agency. We have a small group of staff at a central office, complemented by a network of health care professionals in the regional health authorities.
Staff members at BCPRA include:
- Provincial Executive Director
- Lead, External Renal Networks
- Manager, Administration and Internal Networks
- Director, Health Informatics
- Director, Strategic Organizational Development
- Director, Business Planning
- Senior Officer, Methodology and Analytics
- Medical Lead, Special Projects
- Lead, Infrastructural Planning
- An administrative support group
BCPRA has been part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) since 2002. Our partners include:
- BC Ministry of Health Services
- BC’s regional health authorities
- University of British Columbia
- Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences (CHEOS)
- Kidney Foundation of Canada
- BC’s renal community
BCPRA works closely with the five regional Health Authority Renal Programs (HARPs). Each HARP has a Medical Director and an Executive Sponsor. There is also a Medical Director - Kidney Services: Pediatrics Program.
In cooperation with the health authority renal programs, BCPRA coordinates service delivery to patients in eleven hospitals and 24 community dialysis units throughout the province. For more information, see the section on Kidney Services.
An innovative, integrated health system resulting in outstanding care for patients living with kidney disease.
Integrating knowledge and practice for better kidney health.
Our values provide a focus for how we approach our work and the work of the BC renal network. They collectively inspire behavior that creates a dynamic, engaged, results-oriented organization.
- Patients: We are passionate about and dedicated to improving the lives of those with kidney disease. Our success is measured through patients' access to care, health outcomes and quality of life.
- Partnerships: We value and actively support partnerships with a range of institutions and organizations.
- Knowledge: Our work – be it clinical, financial or administrative – is informed by the best available knowledge, research and evidence.
- Solution: BCPRA is a nimble, streamlined network that works collaboratively to develop innovative solutions for clinical and systemic challenges and barriers.
- Flexibility: BCPRA strives to create a flexible, supportive and positive environment that fosters commitment and a sense of meaningful contribution.