Vancouver – The Provincial Health Services Authority has received five awards at the 2012 Excellence in BC Health Care Awards.
Presented today in Vancouver by the Health Employers Association of BC (HEABC), PHSA won three Gold Apple awards and two Awards of Merit. The awards recognize outstanding health care employees and reward innovation and best practices by BC's publicly funded health care providers. Below is a list of the winners:
Health Care Hero - PHSA (Gold Apple winner)
Sarah Robertson - Manager, Multi-Media & Telehealth (BC Cancer Agency)
Top Innovation - Health Authority (Gold Apple winner)
Project: Escalation of Patient Care (BC Children's Hospital/Sunny Hill)
Project Lead: Tracie Northway - Project Manager, Strategic Implementation
Collaborative Solutions (Gold Apple winner)
Project: Innovative protocolization of anemia therapy in dialysis patients (BC Provincial Renal Agency)
Project Lead: Dr. Dan Martinusen- Chair, Pharmacy & Formulary Committee
Collaborative Solutions (Award of Merit)
Project: The Provincial Expansion of mindcheck.ca (BC Mental Health & Addiction Services)
Project Lead: Dr. Connie Coniglio - Provincial Executive Director, Children & Women's Mental Health & Substance Use Programs
Workplace Health Innovation (Award of Merit)
Project: Ergonomic syringe adapter for chemotherapy delivery (BC Cancer Agency/Children's & Women's Hospital)
Project Lead: Richard Hall - Ergonomic Advisor; Dennis Schweers, Biomedical Engineer
"These awards are a testament to the innovative work our staff is carrying out everyday," said Lynda Cranston, PHSA President and CEO. "We strive to not only lead in terms of health care delivery, but also break new ground in various areas such as treatment, care and recovery."
"I'm delighted to see PHSA employees being awarded for their groundbreaking work in various areas," said Wynne Powell, PHSA Board Chair. "Our agencies work to bring specialized health care services to every corner of the province, and these awards highlight their diligence in carrying out that very task."
PHSA has also been recognized with other awards in 2012 including:
- BC Mental Health & Addictions Services and BC Children's Hospital won a BCMA Excellence in Health Promotion Award for their Provincial Child and Youth Healthy Living Initiative.
- PHSA's BCMHAS and the BCCH have been awarded the Dietitians of Canada Speaking of Food and Healthy Living Award for the Healthy Living Toolkits, a component of the Provincial Child and Youth Healthy Living Initiative.
- The BC Renal Agency received a national award for its PROMIS information system, which maintains the medical records for patients with kidney disease across British Columbia.
- PHSA was awarded Canada's Greenest Employers 2012 designation, which recognizes employers who create a culture of environmental awareness in their organization.
- Four PHSA teams won BC Patient Safety Quality Council awards, which recognize individuals, health care teams, and facilities that have implemented measures or engaged in initiatives to improve the quality of care in BC.
- PHSA was recognized for the second year in a row as a top employer for new immigrants in Canada's Top 100 Employers Project.
- 30 -